As women, we are trained from an early age to expect that we will have to “do it ourselves” if we “want it to be done right”. Right?
Well I’m here to tell you that not only is this faulty thinking for life in general, it’s definitely not the kind of thinking that will be conducive to achieving your goals. It is a sign of strength to ask for help! Think about some of the successful women you know. Every one of them has a list of people they give credit to for helping them along the way.
When it comes to navigating transition, discovering your purpose and designing your life and work in a way that authentically fulfills that purpose, it’s definitely a sign of strength to seek out and get support from someone who can guide you along your journey.
Here are 4 top reasons to consider having a mentor. There are lots more. And, in fact, I’m even giving you a bonus reason. As you read on, I think you’ll see that as much as you can stay on course on your own, there are ways that having a mentor and a coach in your corner accelerate your ability to get to success faster.
1. A mentor will point out your blind spots. We all have them. Ways we avoid seeing unpleasant truths, or avoid dealing with fears, or ignoring our weaknesses. The beauty of having someone beside you is they are not attached to any of these foibles. In fact, their lack of attachment is perfect for helping you become detached as well. Your mentor is easily able to distinguish the essence of you from the beliefs and behaviors that are your blind spots.
2. A mentor will give you targeted direction. Sometimes getting from where you are to where you want to be can seem like a gap as wide as the Grand Canyon. There are so many possibilities! It feels as if everything needs to be done right now. Change, when viewed like this, is indeed overwhelming. A trusted mentor will be able to look at the big picture and help you chunk it down into manageable pieces. A mentor will help you take lots of small steps that add up to big steps, eventually leading you to the success you envision for yourself!
3. A mentor will hold you accountable. Have you ever tried to stick to an exercise program on your own? Have you tried setting the same goals and partnering up with a friend? The difference in the results is eye-opening! You are much more likely to stick with your plan, be consistent, and achieve your goal when you make a commitment to someone else. It’s like they’re counting on you! You are much more likely to show up. It’s the same in life. You’ve embarked on this path of self-discovery because you decided you wanted to experience your life in a much richer way. Getting beyond the blind spots and having a clear direction can be daunting at times. Knowing you’re going to be accountable makes it harder to quit.
4. A mentor will act as a partner. Your mentor knows what it’s like to need guidance and some accountably. At some point in the past, she was where you are now. She knows the feeling of freedom and exhilaration that comes from living on purpose and doing work that’s true for you. And she knows we are all here to help each other. Partnering with you is fun and joyful, because sharing in your success is part of her success as well.
And your bonus tip:
5. A mentor will see you as brilliant, creative and unique, which is the essence of who you truly are. And that is the best reason of all to collaborate with a mentor when you are ready to embrace the life that is true for you!
If you are ready to write the next chapter of your life, but you’re not quite sure where to begin, then let yourself receive the support that will accelerate your ability to achieve the success you desire. Look for someone who will bring these qualities to your relationship, as well as someone you like and can trust. When you get to the other side of that “Grand Canyon”, you’ll be glad you did.
Share your comments and thoughts below. I love to know what you think.